Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I'm Not Giving Up Sweets

Usually I give up sweets during Lent, sort of. What I mean by that is that I say before Lent that I'm going to give up sweets, so I eat a lot of them during carnival season. Then about two days into Lent I decide it isn't going to work, so I just blow it off. Unfortunately the pounds don't just blow off.

As noted on earlier posts, I joined Weight Watchers in January. So far I've lost 13 pounds---and still have a lot to go. I was in the drugstore yesterday eyeing the left-over Valentine's candy (since I have to start behaving today)and then decided that I'm NOT giving up sweets this year. I'm on a sensible diet that allows me to eat a wide variety of foods, but which has me spending a lot of time thinking about food. I don't need more food emphasis in my life now, and I sure don't need to have to make up for a week of foolishness (I know that Valentine candy isn't all that good anyway). So this year I'm not giving up sweets.

What am I doing? Well, in some ways I feel like I'm on a long-term fast with WW (no I'm not hungry, I just can't have what I want when I want it)so I don't feel at all called to deal with food in any other ways. Almsgiving--how much and to whom? I just got the bill for my son's tuition next year, and a request for an extra $300 in donations. Prayer--that's probably what I need. I think I'll start with the daily mass readings. I also need to go to confession. I often try to make daily mass during lent, but I just don't think that's going to work this year--too many other responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats