Friday, March 02, 2007

Enslaved by sin

I took the day off today. I had to pick up Girl Scout cookies this afternoon, and today was the first anniversary of my mom's death so I wanted to go to mass, so all in all it seemed like a good day to take off.

Mass this morning was the school mass for our parish school, which meant there was singing, with the lyrics on the wall like they do on Sunday. The songs were "kid friendly" and there was one that had some phrase in it about being enslaved by sin. For some reason, that struck a note with me and has stayed with me all day, so I prayed about it tonite at adoration. I guess its real easy to see the rules as enslaving, and doing what I want as freeing, yet if I step back from the emotion of the moment and think logically, it makes about as much sense as saying my three year old would be more free if she was allowed to run into the street. Yes, momentarily she would be, but the natural consequences would serve to limit her freedom much more so than "keep out of the street" does.

2 comments:

  1. We are having GS cookie withdrawal here in Garmisch. We have no Girl Scouts so we have no cookies :(
    DIdn't even see any for sale when we went to Stuttgart recently...I miss my Samoas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:26 PM

    It is hard to believe that it has been a year since your mother passed away. I just hit the four month point with my dad- and I am REALLY struggling.
    ~Janette

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats