Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Cousin's Prayer: My Review



The first thing I do when I go to write a book review is to go to Amazon and create the image link above. When I do that, I get to see the sales rank of the book. A Cousin's Prayer had a sales rank of 1511 when I checked. If I understand correctly, that means that only 1511 books sold by Amazon recently sold more copies recently. Considering that some of the books I have read recently have had sales ranks over 100,000, it appears this is one of the most popular books I've read recently.

A Cousin's Prayer is about Katie Miller, an Amish young woman who lives in Indiana. Before this book started, her boyfriend was killed in a van accident. The two of them, along with some friends, were going out-of-town in a van they rented for the day. A bee got in the van, she screamed, the driver looked at her, lost control of the van, and the accident happened. In the same accident, her cousin's fiancee lost his leg and another cousin lost her hearing. Needless to say, she is carrying a lot of guilt and anxiety. Her parents sent her to stay with her grandparents in Florida after the accident. This book starts when they return for her to be an attendant in the wedding of the cousin whose fiancee lost his leg. She starts having anxiety attacks. This story follows her as well as her cousin. Katie is still in love with her dead boyfriend, but starts to have feelings for Freeman, a man she has known since childhood. However, a newcomer to the community has set her cap for Freeman. Who will win his heart?

I've read quite a few of Wanda Brunstetter's books. I read her White Christmas Pie about a year ago. I like Brunstetter's stories, and if you like stories about the Amish, I think you'll like this one too. However, I find her writing to be weak, and I don't really know how to explain why I feel that way. In short, if you are one of those people who will read anything about the Amish, this book should be fine; if not, I'd pass. First Wildcard will tour this book September 28; check back then to read the first chapter.

1 comment:

  1. Good review! I can't seem to get into Wanda's books either! I like Cindy Woodsmall's books a lot better!

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats