Sunday, August 16, 2009

Holy Bullet: My Review


I got my review copy of this book from Goodreads' program. I don't usually read thrillers and spy stories so maybe that's why I don't "get" this book, but I don't. Basically, this is the story of a bunch of spies, intelligence agencies, and operatives, all of whom are working together and apart to make sure what is secret stays secret. There were no real good guys and while I think there was one bad guy on whom everything could be blamed, at the end of the book my general thought was "all that trouble, all those deaths, for THAT?"

I found the book difficult to read. There were chapters set in the present day, some in the 1980's, some in other years. The non-current chapters were generally dated. There were a lot of characters and it was hard to remember who was who and with whom. Perhaps if spy thrillers are a favorite genre for you, your opinion of this book would be different from mine, but I was disappointed in this book. I like things nicely wrapped up--a reason for the mayhem if you would, and I didn't get that.

From Amazon: An international journalist, a war-weary Portuguese veteran, a Muslim with visions of the Virgin MAry, a rogue priest, and members of the world's most pwoerful--and secretive--organizations come together after the suspicous death of Pope John Paul I. A few operatives bold enough to penetrate the Vatican's shadowy inner circle will investigate what went wrong--and try to prevent the popular new pope from meeting the same fate.

In London, journalist Sarah Monteiro is again drawn into the web of international conspiracy, and must reunite--reluctantly--with the mysterious priest/assassin Rafael, and the sinister mastermind known only as JC. Sarah's and Rafael's commitment to truth and justice could prove to be extremely dangerous, for thema nd for John Paul II, especially if they discover the true power behind the papal throne. Author Bio:Luis Miguel Rocha was born in Oporto, Portugal, and worked for many years in London as a television writer and producer.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the review.

    I guess I am wondering how much of this book is fiction and how much is non-fiction.

    Cindy
    Socmom213@aol.com

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats