Sunday, September 13, 2009

Plain Promise: My Review



I enjoyed Beth Wiseman's Plain Perfect last year so when the Thomas Nelson book review program offered her new book Plain Promise (A Daughters of the Promise Novel) I was happy to request a copy.

Plain Promise is the story of Sadie Fisher, a young Amish widow who rents out her guest house to a single man from California. Shortly thereafter, his autistic young son is dropped off by his ex-wife, who shortly thereafter is killed in a car accident. Kade is a wealthy developer who, despite all his toys, is deeply unhappy. She feels attracted to him, but knows that being with him would mean leaving her family and friends. She has been corresponding with an Amish man in Texas for some time; will she marry him? Kade is attracted to her, and to some extent, to the Amish lifestyle, but can he fully accept the Amish lifestyle? The book also contains a sub-plot about a romance between two elderly Amish, which I thought was sweet.

I enjoyed the book. There were a few references to characters featured in Wiseman's other books, but this book is fine as a stand-alone novel. As in Plain Perfect, the outsider comes to Lancaster County looking for peace on his or her own terms and finding it on Amish terms. I'd be real curious to know how often people to convert to the Amish faith/lifestyle and how often it really sticks. As fascinating as I find the Amish, I find it extremely difficult to imagine leaving this life for theirs. Faith is a part of the book, but isn't really preachy.

Plain Promise is an easy feel-good read and I recommend it to those who enjoy books about the Amish or those who like clean romances.

For more information, check out Beth Wiseman's website, her blog or follow her on Twitter

Click to Purchase from Amazon: Plain Promise (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
Thomas Nelson Product Page (Includes preview of book)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! This book sounds soooo good. It is definitely going on my TBR list! Thanks so much for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like a good read! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats