Saturday, October 01, 2011

Heiress: My Review


About the Book:
The beautiful heiress daughters of newspaper magnate August Price have been given everything their hearts desire. But what if they want only to be loved--without an enormous price tag attached? When one daughter pursues a desirable marriage, she secures for herself a comfortable and glamorous life. But among the duties of privilege, will she also find the happily-ever-after she seeks? Her sister rejects the trappings of wealth, choosing instead to build a new life on the still-untamed frontier. Will she find happiness in independence or discover that she's left her heart behind in New York's glittering society? Set in the opulent world of the Gilded Age, each woman discovers that being an heiress just might cost her everything--including the chance for true love.

My Comments:
Two sisters, raised in New York City during the Guilded Age, make different choices, each seeking success as she understood it.  Esme is her father's daughter.  She wants to be in the news business, and is even contributing anonymously (and without her father's knowledge) to her father's newspaper.  Jinx wants to marry a rich man, but her father won't let her marry until her older sister does, and Esme keeps rejecting suitors.  Finally, their father arranges a marriage for Esme, but things don't go as planned.  Esme ends up out West running a newspaper and Jinx ends up in an unhappy marriage.  Eventually both girls find God and happiness.

While my summary makes the book sound trite and ordinary, it wasn't.  I found it to be a well-written novel with characters of real depth.  While Esme was my favorite of the two sisters, I liked watching Jinx grow from a self-involved girl to a woman of depth.  Unfortunately, like much growth, it came at the expense of pain.

It appears to be the first book in a series, but there were no unresolved plot lines.  In short, a well-written historical romance set in the early 1900's.  Grade:  B+

I'd like to thank the publisher for sending me a review copy of this book.  Unfortunately I don't remember when I was supposed to post on it, so I'm doing so now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats