Friday, September 13, 2013

Seven Quick Takes

7 quick takes sm1 7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 231)

1.

My middle child turned 18 yesterday.  She's my easy child, the one who always had friends, who made good grades without effort, who even got through the teen years without eyerolls (well, there were one or two, but she had a smile on her face and a twinkle in her eye at the same time). 

2.  
Said middle child is now part of the Louisiana Scholars' College.  Here are the books I had to buy for her first semester
How to Win at College: Surprising Secrets for Success from the Country's Top StudentsThe Nag Hammadi Scriptures: The Revised and Updated Translation of Sacred Gnostic Texts Complete in One VolumeWestern CivilizationPlato: RepublicReconstructing Gender: A Multicultural AnthologyOn the Nature of the Universe (Penguin Classics)The Age of Extremes: A History of the World, 1914-1991The Aeneid (Vintage Classics)The Gendered Society ReaderParis 1919: Six Months That Changed the WorldThe Gendered SocietyConcerning the Spiritual in ArtHippocratic Writings (Penguin Classics)1848: Year of RevolutionThe Iliad (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)Greek Lyrics (Phoenix Books)The Epic of Gilgamesh: An English Verison with an IntroductionAeschylus I: Oresteia: Agamemnon, The Libation Bearers, The Eumenides (The Complete Greek Tragedies) (Vol 1)

She also needed a Bible, but I had one of those already

3.

My youngest isn't her sister.  Did I ever tell you how much I hate homework?  I've been helping kids with homework now for 15 years and I've really had enough.  Unfortunately, my youngest still needs a lot of supervision with homework.  I need to figure out how to get her to be more independent with studying--she's can complete the written assignments without (too much) supervision, it's the studying that doesn't get done without Mom right there and the amount of studying necessary jumped big time this year (fourth grade).

4.

I'm back to trying to lose weight. I'm the classic yo-yo dieter.  I go on a diet, I lose weight without much trouble until I hit the dreaded plateau, or until something happens to interrupt my routine, or until I just plain get tired of it.  Then the weight creeps back on.  I know I'm supposed to permanently change habits, not just diet for a while but the reality is that if I preferred salads and exercise to desserts and reading/web surfing I wouldn't have a weight problem.

5. 

I wish my son could find a job.  He is 21 and autistic.  He graduated from high school and while there took almost a college-prep curriculum, but he doesn't want to continue in school.  We've been working with various agencies to find him a job but so far, no dice.  He's been in a job training program for over a year now but still no offers of a real paying job.

6.

So far, no hurricane scares this year.  Please pray it stays that way.

7.

I'd like to invite all Catholic bloggers to join us for Sunday Snippets--A Catholic Carnival.  This is a weekly link-up hosted by yours truly.  A few years ago there was a Catholic blog carnival to which bloggers would submit posts and the host of the week would tie them all together with some sort of theme and link to the blog posts.  When the person running it quit and no one else picked it up, I picked it up as a link-up.  Basically, you do a weekly post highlighting and linking to your other posts and then link up to the host post, which is usually up by Saturday afternoon.  I've also added  a question of the week.   The most recent version is here, but we'll have a new one tomorrow.  Please join us.

2 comments:

  1. My middle child (15) is low maintenance, too. She manages much of her life, but still needs me for transportation, which is challenging because she's very social as well as smart. But, being the smart girl she is, she tries to arrange car pools, too.

    My other darlings are challenging in certain areas, but definitely have their strengths and talents.

    Sending prayers for all of your children in every way, but especially for your son to find employment that he loves, your daughter to do well in college, and for the youngest to "not take her mother over the edge." :)

    Best wishes to you, too, with "the struggle."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scholar has a lot of serious reading to cram into her first semester, but I bet she's really smart like her mom and will do well.

    I hope your son gets a job and will pray for him.

    The preference of salads and exercise over desserts and reading/surfing the web comment cracked me up. I have the same problem with dieting you do for the same reasons.

    ReplyDelete


View My Stats