Saturday, April 25, 2015

Review: With the Help of Thy Grace Cookbook



About the Book:
With the Help of Thy Grace Cookbook by Susan M. Greve is a unique and captivating "must have" cookbook for every Catholic home. This one-of-a-kind culinary collection pulls together a depth of "I-always-wanted-to-have" recipes which include appetizers, salads, main courses, desserts, and a variety of scrumptious special dishes. 

My Comments:
This cookbook would make a lovely shower or wedding gift for a Catholic couple.  Most of the recipes are church cookbook standards, which means they are family friendly and don't take exotic ingredients or make you dirty every pot in the kitchen to make them.
 The author is of German-American heritage and you can see it in the recipes, though they are collected from family and friends and contain food from other ethnic groups as well.  The picuture above is from the page of the cookbook with the recipe for Sweet and Sour Pork Chops, which I will be showing you in another post.  You can see that in additon to the recipes, the book contains quotes and meditations from a variety of Catholic sources.  I tend to think about these they way I do all those emails to which I have subscribed over the years and routinely delete without reading.  No, I don't read them all (or even most of them) but the titles catch my eye and to the posts touch my soul often enough that I don't unsubscribe.  When you pull out this cookbook to start dinner, you never know what type of spiritual material will be on the page, or when Someone is trying to use it to get your attention.  

Unfortunately, the book does not contain pictures of the recipes but I really like the way the binding allows the book to lay flat when you are using it.  The cover is a sturdy cardboard, so durability should not be a problem.  

I'd like to thank Catholic Word for sending me a complimentary review copy.  Grade:  B+. 

 Catholic Word describes itself as " a one-stop resource for leading programs and religious titles from over 35 top Catholic publishers. For over 15 years, Catholic Word has built a reputation based on quality, personal relationships and a devotion to excellence in service."  The mission they espouse is "to build up the Church one soul at a time through top quality Catholic materials and resources. Wherever a person is on their faith journey, we offer real help to taking the next step closer to God. Our motto is to do the right thing, in the right way, for the right reason."  They claim to be "100% faithful to the teachings of the Magisterium".  

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats